View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2019, 8:09 pm   #160
Semir_DE
Tetrode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Hello everyone,

I have now completed my first Hedghog converter. It is residing in an aluminium case designated "AKG105-30" made by Fischer. Since the PCB board has components mounted very close to the edges the board could not be slid into the grooves on both sides of this case, instead I had to mount the board turned by 90° this meant all the switches had to be mounted on a separate helper PCB. Here is a view of the insides:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HH_top_view_open.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	180387

This is the front with the helper PCB for the switches. I chose some very small micro switches available from mouser.

Name:	HH_Front_Cover_off.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	180388

Name:	HH_back-view.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	180389

All connections were mounted on the back panel and I used BNC jacks for the video I/O. The F connector was also mounted at an angle of 90° i.e. "sideways" on the PCB with respect to the original design. Here is a view from the back:

Name:	HH_Rear_Fischer_Case.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	180391

It also has CE mark now

The text captions of both front and back were done with adhesive foils that were printed on my laser printer. I made some small changes to some of the text and used a software called "FrontDesigner" to make the labels. This is a tool that is precise to about 0.05mm and has some useful features for making all sorts of front panels.

Here is the final product in action. I have used the "o" of the Hedghog caption as a power on indicator so it lights up in blue when the converter is on.

Name:	HH_in_case_working.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	180390

The unit is powered by a USB Jack using a regular mobile phone charger.

It was quite a bit of work to get everything to work that way but I wanted to use this case since I have a few of them lying around and it is really small and neat.

Semir