View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2019, 4:03 pm   #151
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
I was actually surprised they both worked first time!
So was I!! I'm not casting aspersions on your constructional skills, but when you consider all the possible issues like dodgy modulator chips from China and FPGA boards with poor soldering, SMD assembly issues (those components are very small) and programming difficulties, I think we all deserve a pat on the back when the thing actually works!!

I did wonder if we were being too critical about the jitter, but the test card from the Aurora doesn't jitter, so it is possible!

Dave,
I assume you are using the Murphy V310? This doesn't have a fine tune control (I don't think). I've always found all my sets need careful fine tuning to get minimal sound on vision or vision buzz. I guess the Murphy relied on all the IF's being spot on. The fine tune control allows for a bit more leeway!

Have you ever used the Murphy with a different standards converter? It may be an alignment issue with the set rather than a HH problem.

Jac,
Thanks for the explanation. I read somewhere the correct set up procedure from Frank for the carrier level, but can't find it now.

I plan to built mine in the larger case as I will probably also incorporate a level control.

I'll be interested to know how the HH compares sync wise to your other converters on different sets.

I plan to fit the audio mod chip tonight so I can have a play with carrier levels etc.

Thanks for all the input, it's great to know what other issues people are finding.

All the best
Nick