View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2019, 2:00 pm   #31
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard AT-6 stereo cartridge, or whole headshell replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The previous advice is that there is a big difference between the output voltage of a Garrard GC2 cartridge and a BSR SC11M or 12M - or even a 12H.
Yes, and I think 12H is very hard to come by now!

Quote:
Given it's a Mark 1 ECL82 amplifier in the Dansette "Hi Fi", you really need a good 250mV to drive this fully.
The penny has dropped, finally!

In this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=152345&page=2 I describe the full restoration of a Mark II Hi-Fi for someone. Once I'd completed the rebuild of the amplifier, I asked around on the forum for advice and at the time, you helpfully recommended various options including the SC11M, which worked fine.

Only, of course, the Mark II version of the Dansette Hi-Fi is equipped with an ECL86 amplifier, whose triode has considerably higher voltage gain.

With parental ill-health and my child's GCSE's, I haven't given this project anything like any continuity of focus this time round, and I relied on my memory without checking back on the relative valve types to clock the significance of the ECL82's. And that's why I consciously re-bought the SC11M a while back. No wonder it didn't work, authentic or not.

Quote:
As long as the seller will exchange, or re-imburse, do go for a BSR X5M.
I won't bore everyone with the various twists and turns that have taken place since then... but I'll take your advice, Edward, and BSR X5M coming up!

Only, I have two experiences of buying new-in-box crystal cartridges, only to find that they are no-output (humidity ingress). Is this unlikely or very rare for the BSR X5M?

Quote:
...feeling your frustrations over this!
Just a little! We'll get there in the end, always do!

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 12th Jun 2019 at 2:23 pm.