View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019, 1:10 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard AT-6 stereo cartridge, or whole headshell replacement?

I've just checked a couple that I have here, both the 'M' and the 'H' version, and they both have 'Made In England' on the top of them. I've had them for a long time, so they'll be from the days when old stock was still available. However, considering that these cartridges haven't been manufactured for decades, I would think that any sold as 'brand new' now will likely to be copies of the original, as there can't be much (or even any) old stock of the original BSR made ones left by now.

The made in England logo is on the top of the cartridge, so it has to be removed from the head shell and 'clip', if fitted, to see it.

One last thought, and I really shouldn't have to say it, as Al has been on here years and will have no doubt seen all the repeated warnings over the years, but wires should never be soldered to the tags with them fitted to the cartridge. Just a few seconds of heat from a hot soldering iron anywhere near one of these cartridges will kill it stone dead, so worth mentioning this again for other readers who may be new to record players.