View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2017, 12:49 am   #6
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Brenell STB-1 Restoration & Help Needed

Thanks Ted I will take it one step at a time but no impending hurry as the item has to be packed up soon as I will be moving a couple of doors down whilst my flat is being refurbished.

Just thought I would get in there and ask the questions to see where this all leads me with a bit of knowledge gained beforehand and during.

As far as I can tell the Ferrograph motor is fitted with the Brenell large capstan, the small 1/2" capstan is missing. I suspect the motor is not synchronising to the mains correctly either, as there is no motor run capacitor. But I suspect the motor may be self synchronising and it may not be necessary.

The electronics should not be hard to fault find along with replacing what I do suspect are Hunts capacitors, are there any resistors in this that may need to be looked at?

As for testing the transport, that should not be difficult, if I take out the rectifier in the amp unit, assuming the rectifier bridge in the heaters is not going to cause any issues either but would indicate if there was power to the amp unit.

I suspect Barry will have plenty to add when he gets around to seeing this but I may be wrong.

I have his books as well, I can highly recommend them to all who do not have copies, pretty sure that some have been updated and are currently on eBay.

Oh yes I think I might trade nearly all my machines, along with body parts for a Studer C37, I did have a Studer B62 with BBC mods out of BBC Leeds, sold it years back big mistake. Surprisingly compact in the metal case it was in too but a bit of hefty lift. The EMI TR90 went back to the person I bought it off but the only other machine would be an EMI TR52 C or D depends which was the 15 ips version. I have an EMI RE321 which I going to part with shortly.

The Brenells are well worth the time and the effort to get them all up and running, I have several transports which I could use for donor parts.