View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2018, 3:16 pm   #25
baldwinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Lancaster Bomber Radio signals and communications.

Thank you all, I haven't disappeared at all I've been working on raising the money to make the film and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the response, and intend to respond to everybody! Some really fascinating info, so many leads and its really exciting to know so many people are interested in the topic, I had no idea. Bob

Thank you Dave, I've heard that clip you mention and have read suggestions that because you can hear no engine noise it might be a propaganda clip issued by the war office, what do you think? I'm particularly focused on the internal conversations between the crew and messages with base and any other dialogue needed to fly a mission that the wireless op would have heard, in other words his entire audio experience of the flight. Look forward to what you find in your books. Bob

Thank you, I link forward to hearing from them direct, if I don't I will get in touch myself, Thanks again, Bob

Martin, Thank you! All the details help me build a timeline and this helps immensely, If you think of anything else Id be pleased to hear... Thanks again, Bob

Sorry to hear about your father, luckily mine stayed around until 1993, but he would talk about it much which of course makes it all the more intriguing ! Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I think the third paragraph of post 3 is confusing, as is the comment regarding 'the WOPs role in short-range communications with their airfield'.

The Lancaster (and the other heavy bombers) were fitted with two radio systems. The T1154/R1155 HF system was under the control of the Wireless Operator, and its primary use was receiving instructions, weather report etc from control, using Morse code. He had to monitor regular broadcasts every half hour, and log a code-word which was then checked at debrief to prove he hadn't been asleep!
There was then another radio system, initially a TR9, then replaced by a TR1196 (both on HF), this was then replaced by a TR1143 and finally by the SCR-522, the latter two being on VHF.
This second system was normally used by the pilot, on voice, to communicate locally with other aircraft or with the airfield on return from a mission.

In American terminology, these two systems were the 'Liason System' and the 'Command System', but this terminology wasn't used by the RAF.

So normally in failure-free conditions, the WOP wouldn't have any involvement with the TR9/TR1196/TR1143/SCR-522, and the pilot would have no involvement with the T1154/R1155

Of course in the event of equipment failure or crew injury whatever radio was working would be used by whoever could use it!
Hi Andy, Thats interesting, do you think if the Pilot was talking to other planes the rest of his crew would heard the conversation? Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I wonder if the Air Historical Branch of the Royal Air Force may be of help? They have large records and archives for historical purposes and are usually helpful.
A good lead, Thank you! I will follow up, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
One of the books I have is the recollections of a Lancaster Wireless Operator, I'll dig it out and check its title/author. I do remember that one of his major jobs once over enemy territory was acting as lookout, with a lot of time spent with his head in the astrodome whilst keeping an eye on the Fishpond Indicator (mounted on his table alongside the T1154/R1155) to spot night-fighters approaching from below, not forgetting to listen at the scheduled times for any important messages from control.
Thanks, interesting, I look forward to hearing the title, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
My step Grandad's son was on a Lancaster mission to Leipzig, needless to say he and his mates never returned GWGC says Wireless Op./Air Gunner. 625 Squadron.
Luckily for me my dad was one of the lucky ones, he did in tour of 30 then 5 more for luck! Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
One source of (fictional) info on Wireless Ops is the book by the late Alan Sillitoe, who was an RAF ground op post WW2, "The German Numbers Woman". The main character in the book is a blinded op who keeps up his skills as a short-wave listener post-war. Sillitoe wrote other fiction with a radio aspect, e.g. "The Lost Flying Boat" with R1155 and T1154 being mentioned.

Also, although it's 50 years since I read it last, Hammond Innes's "The Land God Gave to Cain" covers a disabled ex-op with the callsign G2STO. (never issued!).
Hi Roger, great leads I shall follow up, many thanks, Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW3OQK Andrew View Post
Bob, This could give you an idea of what it sounded like in the operator's headphones. We had a net commemorating the radios used during the great Dams Raid 75 years before with four T1154 transmitters on air. Here's an edited version. http://www.v-d-r.net/images/DAMS NET.mp3 When MW0LUK tunes his T1154 onto frequency that's what it must have been like on air from a hundred aircraft tuning up before a raid.
Hi Andrew, Thank you but I'm having trouble with the link with this which is really frustrating as it sounds fascinating and I can't wait to hear it! Is there any other format you could let me hear of perhaps a mp3? Bob