View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2019, 10:46 pm   #14
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: Homebrew SSB Transceiver

Well back to it... after a short break and hollybobs. I have a slight problem stopping me completing the project.
The PA output filter. The common thought is to use Low Pass filters to eliminate out of band spurious signals, and thus I made LP Filters for 80 and 40 metres with reasonable success. However the 20M filter is causing me concern.
I have made quite a few different filters based on designs from the interweb... mostly the Butterworth configuration but I cannot get the insertion loss at 14 Mhz to be better than 13db, and the fall off is quite shallow, rather than a reasonable "cliff edge" on 80 and 40, where the insertion loss is 2 db. All the charts give values of L1/L3 = 0.6 uH and L2 0.9 uH in round figures with C1/C4 100pf C2/C3 390pf or similar.
Should I consider a Bandpass filter in this location ?? or will I have trouble matching the 50R in / Out impedance.
I add the pcb and schematic for your info.
L1/2/3 are 50/6 torroids. The caps at present are disc ceramics.. no point in buying until I know what values are suitable.
Your comment will be most welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	180224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterworth.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	180225  

Regards