View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2018, 6:56 pm   #8
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Gould / Advance OS3000 scopes - are they any good?

Advance 3000 and other scopes.
I suppose we have all had good and bad experience of scopes. The Advance one is on a single board. No reason why it should be worse, but it is always more difficult to find your way about when servicing when everything is crammed on one board.
I also have a Telequipment D67 - a single board, and I am struggling to find my way around. Even with the full manual.
The Telequipment plug in varieties: D31, D43, D63, D83 seem more accessible.

My HP1707 is easier to work on, and it seems pretty reliable. The HP1740 and 1741 I have must have been Friday afternoon versions. The HP140 & HP180 and variants are delightfully versatile, and when working a real joy, good tube, easy to use, but 1968 vintage, and showing it.

But my favourite is the unpopular SE Labs (EMI) SM111 (or SM113). Separate panels for each function. All swing out. Delightfully easy to service. And in the way of such things, it never seems to go wrong.
And of the valved ones, the Solartron CT436 keeps going, my other standby to the SM111.

When all the others, HP, Tektronix, Telequipment, Advance, Cossor, Solartron, Philips are sulking, that SM111 keeps going.
I regret to say I seem to have somehow acquired an example of almost every scope, apart from the Tek valved ones - too heavy.
After a time working well, they had tended to collect under the bench awaiting some love and attention. Unlike Mr Bungle, I have not plucked up courage to pass them on. wme_bill