View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 10:40 pm   #61
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: When did PCB tracks become 'traces'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Laziness has a place though: I think it was the great crime-writer Raymond Chandler who said something like "I'm paid by the word - I use short words to save time. Why write policeman or metropolis when cop and city are quicker to type?"

I like this attitude. Same goes for using acronyms. Why type "Regular Production Option" when you can type RPO?
I like words. I enjoy writing them and I enjoy reading them. I like reading well crafted fiction, so someone writing "it was dark", doesn't do it for me. If the author has done their job well, and taken a page to say the same thing, then it becomes much more rewarding to read.

In the above example, 'policeman' & 'metropolis' are much more interesting words that 'cop' & 'city', even though they convey the same meaning.

The use of acronyms drives me mad beyond almost anything else- the writer might know what they stand for, but I frequently don't! So whilst I've no idea what 'regular production option' means, RPO would be even more baffling!

It's been interesting reading the comments in this thread and it did make me wonder why exactly do I find some terms like 'trace, schematic, swapped out' etc, so annoying? The answer is that whilst language constantly evolves:- I do not! As I get older, I like things to be as as I expect them to be, which of course is totally unrealistic. So I need to try and accept these new terms rather than rebel against them. However, I don't see myself using the word 'schematic' any time soon!

All the best
Nick