View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2019, 7:07 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Merits of The Wireless Set No. 19?

The 19 set's merits were all in the 1960s:

1) There was an awful lot of them about
2) They were dirt-cheap

In the 1940s they didn't acquire a fan club. The VHF 'B' set was essentially useless and got jokes, I was told, about 'Press button B and get your money back'. Any free-tuning of a receiver was going to be difficult in a moving tank. Construction was at least robust enough to survive the shock and vibration fairly well.

People wanting a receiver in the 1960s saw the 19 set as very affordable and it wasn't a bad receiver, but the tuning range was frustrating in a wonderful sunspot maximum. The 19 set sold to people who'd rather have an 1155, CR100, HRO, AR88 in ascending preference order, but were financially constrained. Transmitting-type people might have a 19 set as a starter setup, but soon moved on to homebrew and heathkits. The LG300 was aspired to. KW entered the fray. There didn't seem to be that many 1154s around. Anything with Collins written on it was very desirable.

Through it all, the 19 set remained plentiful and cheap. A lot of people got started with them because of this.

The bit of the 19set I most liked.... The variometer!

David