Old 29th Nov 2022, 3:49 pm   #13
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Interconnect lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarth View Post
What everyone says. Unless it’s a DIN output, eg to/from a tape recorder, in which case they are high impedance, and cable capacitance is critical.
That's very interesting Stuart. I had no idea, and have a number of tape decks that, when running, will need various DIN connections. I can see a search coming on when I need to make some up...

Is there a reference somewhere?
I don't have a reference to hand, but I understand that the origin of the DIN current-driven audio interconnection was that originally the audio output (intended for tape recording) from an AM radio was taken straight from the detector diode. To avoid loading this too much, and thus flattening the selectivity of the final IF stage and spoiling the radio's performance, a high-value resistor was included between the detector and the DIN output. The gain was made up in the tape recorder.

So a "proper" DIN audio connector isn't just the same signals as on the phono connectors but wired to a different socket. There are electrical differences as well. However, there is a lot of equipment out there which just uses "line level" signals on DIN connectors.

Chris