View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2022, 4:31 pm   #7
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Interconnect lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
If you make up your own cables you can always get exactly what you want. I have a reel of shielded cable and a bag of nice Amphenol phono plugs. If it turns out the lead's too long, you can easily cut it down...
Excellent Advice.
I use good quality standard (EG Beldray) microphone cable twin core with separate shield and I've used every sort of RCA plug going over the years. can't say i have noticed any difference in audio quality although some plugs are more robust than others.
Luciens post also points out about lengths.
I have a very long 8m run of the aforementioned sreened mic cable between my valve preamps and a valve power amplifier and it performs with absolutely no audible impairment of performance.
One preamp has a cathode follower ouput with an output Z around 600 ohms and the other is a transformer output with Z around 25 ohms (I think, it's certainly less than 100 ohms) into amplifier input Z of either 100k or 1 meg depending on which Valve amp.
And I also get the same results when using any of my Silicon preamps either into a valve power amp or solid state power amp, usually a Quad405 but i have used others.
I hope that gives an insight Martin, I'd confidently use commercial connecting leads of 3m or more if necessary. Which it can be if you're thinking of connecting an analogue aduio output from a TV for instance to an audio system situated some distance from the Screen, I did this until we got a new telly that only had digital outputs and now luckily discovered that 7m of optical cable works into the DAC in the main system. Which I am led to believe is pushing it a bit.
Regards.
Andy.