View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2009, 1:56 am   #23
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Ekco A22 in walnut brown/bronze c.1945

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a response! I really appreciate you all taking the time to praise my restoration. I feel flattered by your very kind remarks. Many thanks to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Will you now be putting the "reproduction" chassis into the [more araldite free] damaged case I wonder?
Yes that's the plan! Until I acquired the original A22 I tried to make my reproduction version as authentic as possible. But I don't feel that's particularly necessary anymore. So now it'll still be an A22 alright, but with a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilley View Post
...a few details of materials and/or inks used for the large transfer...
Nothing special here. It was simply ordinary 80g paper and an inkjet printer. In fact the sheet I used was originally the test print, but it came out so well the first time I used it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWard View Post
Is this where I admit to connecting resistors in series sometimes?
Nothing wrong with using resistors in series or parallel to make up a value. The crudeness I was referring to was just the poor way they had been soldered. Where the two resistors were joined they were sticking off of the chassis almost fouling other connections!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LS View Post
Is that the original output transformer or did you replace it? If the original how did you clean it up? Like wise with the supply transformer?
Yes both transformers are the originals shown in the 'before' images. They were given exactly the same treatment as the metalwork of the chassis. That is, removal of the paint with jelly paint stripper, a clean with methylated spirit, and a repaint with the silver and black Smoothrite as appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
...where did you get MDF so thin?
From my local hardware shop which reqularly has it in stock. I believe its generally available from the well known DIY stores as well. I can't say that I've ever had a problem obtaining it in that thickness whenever I've needed some.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk