View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 6:22 pm   #79
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture, BBC News

Andrew just rang from the shop asking my opinion about a 48" Samsung LED TV that another dealer was passing on 'because they couldn't get the back off'. Before you start laughing, I warned him that it's no mean feat to do this. There are no screws at all. You slide a metal spatula in at the lower right making sure you miss the screen tabs, ease the case apart as far as you dare, then run your plastic paddles along the seam. The case splits with a worrying crack.
Then getting it back together is a challenge. The ones I've done didn't quite go back 100% but there's so little clearance between the screen and the front bezel that you daren't squeeze too hard. It's not just us - I hear Samsung main dealers are just as apprehensive. We have to get the customer to understand the screen might get cracked despite our best efforts.
The last one I was asked to look at had distorted sound. I took one look, made my apologies and advised them to buy a soundbar. Some things just aren't worth the stress!
And this on a top-of-the-range TV. Are they encouraging a throw-away culture?