View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2020, 2:36 pm   #107
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: State of repairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Well, the arty people and folk in the entertainment industry get almost all the fame there is and are likely to pick up a gong just for doing their day-job.
They are the lucky few who 'won the lottery' in their field. They are the equivalent of Premier League footballers. Those with only marginally less skill may be fortunate ply their trade in the lower leagues whilst the vast majority will play on a park on a Sunday for nowt. (And nevertheless would run rings around the likes of me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
One of our children works in the arts/entertainment industry.....it's hard work in more ways than one I can assure you.
The money many people earn in the arts is often pitiful and frequently with little security in what is a notoriously volatile industry. Given the current situation they are set to be a lot fewer.

Most of my age-contemporaries I'm acquainted with who once had a career in the arts – and this at the more commercial end – have long left the sector. They are care workers, lay drives, drive taxis, do roofing repairs, breakdown truck driver, hotel handyman, policeman, cleaner, receptionists, school office assistant, clean windows, work in shops.

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 1st Aug 2020 at 2:58 pm.