View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2020, 7:30 am   #104
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: State of repairs...

Well, the arty people and folk in the entertainment industry get almost all the fame there is and are likely to pick up a gong just for doing their day-job. So those of us designing away in obscurity need to blast the trumpet at any chance.

Something I did turned over hundreds of millions of dollars of sales in its production lifetime. My cut was just the salary. Oh, and it did that turnover with a rather large profit percentage, too. I suppose I can look at most datasheets, point at one particular parameter, and think that most probably it was measured with something I did.

Of course, some designers wind up working for certain notorious manufacturers to design the tat they turn out. They can be perfectly fine designers, it's just the project objectives they have to work under that forces the tatty outcome. It must be very frustrating. One of the radio amateurs running round Yorkshire in the eighties was a photographer for either the Sun or the News of the World. He explained it thus: He'd rather be working for the Times or the FT or the BBC, but they paid nothing like the salaries the muck rakers did.

David