View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2017, 10:01 am   #12
sunthaiboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Henlow Signals Museum

I have not yet had the chance to visit the RAF Henlow museum, but I know the old REU (Radio Engineering Unit) well. I worked in EES/EWEF (Electrical Engineering/Electronic Warfare Engineering Flight) in the late 1970's and early 80's. As a young radio engineer (LAC Trade Group 3), I used to do the post runner chore and visit "Xtal flight" (one of 15 odd stop-off's) to deliver the post. What they ever did there was a great mystery to me. They had a very large Alsation dog which was always pleased to see passing visitors. The other side (site) of the station was OCTU (Officer Command Training Unit) also in its death throws. With a main road running though the middle of the station, security alerts weren't fun for the lower ranks as it meant having to search cars passing through. Joe public were never impressed.

I'm not fully "up-to-speed" with the why Henlow is at risk of closing. Lack of role or financial cuts seems likely? So many military establishments have vanished with barely a trace left.

The day was, when every Operational Station had its own Radio/Electronics Workshop. They were whittled down to 3/4th line repair centres (North Luff, Henlow and the like). Then we lost No 1 Radio School, training went off to Cosford. I guess we don't do that type of engineering any more because we live in a throw away world. 81SU (STCICS) where I worked as System Engineer did not last long either....I thought it was an amazing system!

Funding, accommodating and running museums or homes for retired radio equipment, (what most consider to be scrap) is a big problem for the few. Q. What do I do with my growing radio shed (housed in Criggion MW Radio Station) when I am finished with it (i.e. dead)? There appear to be less and less mad keen "radio/valve fan folk"" about. I guess its a bit like the Remembrance Day Parades, there will soon be a time when the few that knew, took part and lost loved one's aren't around to remember first hand. Are we living with one foot in the past with a bad dose of gangrene in the other?