View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2019, 3:05 am   #27
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Question on Recording speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I find this rationalisation of the 78 rpm standard speed pretty puzzling. Maybe in the US there were fixed-speed synchronous phonograph motors back in the day, where 78.26 rpm could be calculated from 60 Hz mains and an integer gear ratio, but was there ever such a fixed-speed 78 rpm synchronous gramophone motor in the UK?

AFAIK all UK pre-LP 78 rpm gram motors used a governor-controlled variable-speed motor. Even the exotic Garrard 201 direct drive turntable had a speed control. So has the neat and tidy 78.26 rpm calculation ever had any relevance at all here in the UK?
The attached Wireless World article (from 1931) indicates that gear-drive turntables were found in British practice.

But I doubt that the precise standardization, to 78.26 rev/min, had much to do with domestic turntables, which often had a variable speed facility anyway. More likely it came about because of professional transcription needs, where gear-driven turntables with synchronous motors were found, and where precise timing was needed. The latter indicated a need for precision with both recording and playback speeds. 78.26 rev/min was a 23:1 reduction from 1800 rev/min, the speed of a 4-pole synchronous motor operating from a 60 Hz supply. Also, where variable speed turntables were used for transcription purposes, 78.26 rev/min was easily set with a (60 Hz) stroboscope.

The 50 Hz case would give 78.95 rev/min as a 19:1 reduction from 1500 rev/min. Whether that was the actual recording speed in 50 Hz areas I do not know. But with stroboscope-equipped turntables, it would often have been the playback speed. The RCA 70-series synchronous motor, gear-driven professional turntables were available in both 60 Hz and 50 Hz forms. My best guess from the nature of the mechanism is that the “78” speed was 78.26 rev/min at both supply frequencies. (See: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=59.)

(Typical stroboscopes also produced a slight error with the 50 Hz. 45 rev/min combination, “locking” at 45.11 rev/min.)

The old British Standard BS1928 for gramophone records – which I have not seen - might provide some clues, in that it probably specified actual recording speeds, and so might tell us whether late-era British 78s were recorded at 78.26 or 78.95 rev/min.

Cheers,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gramophone Motor Design WW 19310325.pdf (523.4 KB, 59 views)