View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2017, 4:17 pm   #1
rtbcomp
Tetrode

Default Decca Deccalian Motor Mounting Replacement.

Further to my amplifier problems

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?p=993292

I now have a loud graunching sound at 78 rpm coming from beneath the turntable. On inspection the motor mounting grommets have rotted away causing the motor to drop which in turn caused part of the speed change mechanism to bind on the brass motor pulley, you can see the brass filings in this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1534 Edit.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	153489

And the state of the grommets:

Name:	DSCN1524 Edit.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	153490

Name:	DSCN1542 Edit.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	153491

Preliminary steps:

Remove the pickup and tie the tone arm to its suppport

Remove the 2 wooden fillets fore and aft of the deck and the deck will lift off the wooden supports at each side. Note how the fillets are located. Lift the deck vertically until the springs it sits on clear the supports before tilting it, otherwise the springs will get distorted. Tilt and twist the deck towards the rear of the machine taking care not to stretch any wires. Unplug the 3 pin plug connecting the pickup to the amplifier and tilt the deck further until you can get to the wires connected to the motor. Mine were connected to a 2 way chocolate block. Remove the amplifier switch, use a 3/8 BSF (5/46 BSW) spanner on the nut beneath the baseplate, this saves marking the knurled nut on the top. The deck can now be lifted away from the case.

The motor and speed change assembly come away as one unit:

1) Disconnect the motor, remove the switch if neccessary; there is a descrepancy between the circuit diagram and they way my motor was connected.

2) Remove the circlip from the peg where the link from the speed-change knob is connected to the speed change mechanism. This peg isn't fixed, so be careful not to lose it. Lift the link off the peg.

Name:	DSCN1562 Edit.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	153493

3) Remove the turntable, there's a grub screw (or 2) in a hole on the side of the bearing, slacken this off sufficiently to release the turntable.

4) Remove the idler pulley, take care not to lose the brass spacer.

Name:	DSCN1531 Edit.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	153494

4) Undo the cheese-head screws and nuts that hold the assembly to the deck, there are spacers inside the black grommets, they may fall out.

5) Remove the three dome-headed screws that fasten the speed change mechanism to the motor mounting plate. Note the large spacers, the mounting plate is tapped to take these screws.