View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 7:10 am   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

Although not currently a member, I joined the BVWS 1977 when there was little more than a handful of members, and even then it was not uniquely the domain of vintage radio enthusiasts with many members, including myself having vintage TV and audio interests. Frankly I see little point in changing the name, it will not make the society more accessible or higher profile than it is now, and it could even work the other way. Any new blood wanting to find a society to join because of say their vintage TV interests would have to be pretty blinkered not to find the BVWS. In my professional life as a director of an international electronics focused PR agency I was often asked about the merits of changing a company's name. The answer is don't do it unless there is a really good reason such as the existing name has become sullied, or a new name will make the organisation higher profile and recognisable. The fact that the name BVWS doesn't include audio or TV is not of prime importance, like I say, it doesn't stop it being recognisable for what it embraces by interested parties. And finally, should the Wobbly Wheelers Cycling club change its name to the Wobbly Wheelers Road, Mountain, Track, Cyclo-Cross and Time Trial club?