View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2018, 4:16 pm   #7
Lucifer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wiring a desk electric fan.

When I acquired the fan circa 20 yrs. ago( it had come from a house clearance) there was no mains wiring and the wiring from the motor and the switch had been cut at both ends leaving just the 5 wires protruding from the winding and bits of wire/solder on the switch connectors. The switch acts as an on/off and has 3 speeds. The connectors on the 3 speeds are the ones with tracings of wire/solder. There is also another connector which has tracings of wire/solder, therefore 4 wires were attached to the switch, one of which may have been a mains wire and not necessarily from the winding.

I presume whoever originally owned this fan didn't have any more use for it and cut the wires because they didn't want anyone else using it, or did so for safety reasons without realising it might have some collectible value.

There is some movement on my meter if I touch the prongs between the wires which hopefully indicates the motor is okay. Would it help if I take the readings between each of the wires from the winding. The problem with this being, the readings tend to fluctuate. Would there be another part such as a capacitor missing from the base, or would the wiring have only consisted of a switch and mains lead connecting it up.