View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2018, 6:45 pm   #4
Lucifer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Wiring a desk electric fan.

Firstly, thank yu'all for taking the time to reply. The weight of the fan(8 plus kilos) and the components tend to indicate it might date to the 1930's/ 1940's, certainly the oscillator gearing looks to emanate from that period. The natural patina on the guard and blades also indicate that sort of age. There are many similar style Thai reproduction models on the internet, although with various subtle differences. I'm fairly sure this isn't one of the aforementioned, because of the quality,components and perhaps most poignantly, the weight. Mine is twice as heavy. I enclose further images.

Of the 5 wires, 4 are black and one is brown with a white stripe. Each wire is 0.5 mm diam. I have now soldered the wires and made a harness to a 5 core cord. The closest I could get was a cord with 0.75 mm wiring. Obviously, all the colouring of the wiring is different and I have attached the brown wire to the brown/white striped wire from the winding. The 3 speed switch has obviously been replaced with one of the Made in Taiwan variety. I will need to replace this with one that is more in period. There are traces of wire and solder on the 3 pins dictating the speed, there are also tracings of wire/solder on another of the pins. I do have a volt meter, but my knowledge of electrical matters is extremely limited, I restore antique clocks, vintage wristwatches et al.

There aren't any identification tags on the fan, although there may have been one on the bottom cover which is missing. The logo at the centre of the guard appears to resemble that of General Electric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image052.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	164204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image061.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	164205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image066.jpg
Views:	260