View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2020, 10:47 am   #34
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Yes, yet another home made valve tester.

Those are really good results. Right enough, the first 6AU5 tabulation is pure DC, the second is my MK3(AC), and the empty column is for your results. I always include my MK3, partly because I can regularly check its spec, but more so to see that any wee "kinks" are duplicated. These offsets from a pure Xsquared Gm graph happen many times with many valves. As I've said before, a maths teacher would want a student to draw an averaged-out pure curve, but a test equipment technician wants to see kinks, warts & all. For DC testing, I'm constantly monitoring Vh & keep tweaking to exactly 6.3V, or whatever. Along with any tweaking of Va & Vs to exact book values. AVO VCM's, most now of pensionable age, can exhibit lowering AC Vh's across H+ & H- with valves that draw 1 to 2 to 3A of Ih. Yep, AVO Manual's calibration spec. might show a generous % of allowable Va, Vs & Vh, and indeed for example, show higher switch selection voltages off-load. But then, for many folk, the very nature of the RMS - ish values given by AVO, can be jolly confusing.
I was extremely lucky with my DC tester construction in having an old AVO MK1/2 as a donor & thus was able to use their valve holder panel complete with its 9 way thumbwheel switch. However, long 9 way/9 contact wafer switches,(Yaxley type), can be sourced & made up. RS used to supply construction kits. A lot better than fannying about with swapping banana plugs, leads, & sockets.

Regards, David