View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 10:14 pm   #12
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Restoration of Apollo era consoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't classified drawings if they were involved in aerospace, I believe astronautics developed crt displays in early fighter jets. (might have read that in wikipedia, I forget).
I found it extremely difficult to get the schematics for a vintage mil spec & military avionics video monitor. They tended not to have a service manual as such.

Recently I subjected a vintage Avionics video monitor to study, with the same type of rectangular CRT face as those NASA monitors. One of the reasons I got these monitors is because they reminded me of the NASA monitors.

Wouldn't you know it, I had to copy out the schematics by hand before I could power them and use them. They contained a number of innovations in their construction, one being an astonishingly clever & efficient video black level clamp not seen in domestic video monitors, which I found out in the end was actually designed by Tektronix in the 1960's, the story is here:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/The_19...o_monitor..pdf

looking at the rear of those NASA monitors, the deflection yoke looks like it might the the same/similar precision type made by Syntronic Instruments, there is a photo of one in the article, these are much better made than the average yoke.