View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2019, 2:22 am   #51
Hampus
Pentode

Question Re: Wiring 'Aux-in' (iPod) connectors to Car radios

I am trying to add an auxiliary input to a 1980's Clarion stereo, I have made some conclusions but would appreciate some feedback about it.

It is a thirty year old unit and quite advanced for it's age including frequency presets, LED display, cassette player with Dolby and chrome/metal ability.

I have attached the service manual for a similar model, the circuits are the same except my stereo do not have the jack for connecting of an equalizer. The 'short plug' in the diagram is alway plugged in so to say.

Most IC's have no other markings than Clarion's own codes so it is not easy to find information about them.

ICx2 is something related to Dolby. The radio signal also passes through this.
ICx3 is a preamplifer of sorts, the bass and treble control is connected to it.
TP-L and TP-R is voltmeter test points for when making adjustments as mentioned in the manual.

I have tried injecting signals at these test points and the sound will make it to the speakers. I first tried directly at the volume control but that of course bypassed the tone controls so that was no good.

I am thinking of fitting a switched jack breaks the internal circuit when a plug is plugged in. When no plug is present the internal signal just travels to the jack and back.

Do I need capacitors to connect to ICx3? Is there a need for DC blocking? And what is the point of the 3,3k resistors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SaabClarion_84_85_ServiceManual.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	177771  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SaabClarion_84_85_ServiceManual.pdf (1.87 MB, 497 views)
Hampus is offline   Reply With Quote