View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 10:43 am   #97
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Brenell Purchases

Mk. 5 Series 2 Update:-

Thoroughly cleaned again the complete tape path including tape guides, no change to fast winding to stop tape spillage and fast forward winding reluctance when tape on take up spool > 50%

Tried rotating the right hand tape guide near the PB/Record head to several positions but no change to tape spillage/winding symptoms. Guide only slightly worn compared to the left hand guide.

Rotated the left hand tape guide 180 degrees to move the worn area away from tape contact. The domed pin is now at around 1 O'clock. Do not think it has helped tape spillage, but it has made a big improvement to fast forwarding, now can start fast forward with any amount of tape on the take up spool and the fast wind starts OK.

If I can remove the domed pin will try and determine its thread size/type and see if I can source correct tap to be able to drill/tap another hole/thread to reposition pin.

In playback mode with no tape playing there is noticeable hum from the speaker when the volume is increased above around a 1/3 max. Hum not noticeable when tape playing music (maybe is on very quiet music).

As well as the valves being originally missing the metal screening cans for the EF 86 & ECC 83 valves were also missing, so wondered if fitting cans might reduce the hum level. Remembered that the Mk. 5 unit (which also has missing valves) had the 2 cans fitted, so have taken the cans from the MK. 5 to fit into the Series 2 (not yet fitted).

Need to replace the missing felt pressure pad for the erase head and the worn felt pressure pad for the PB/Record. Found some felt at home but too thin and maybe too soft. Most of my pressure pads on various machines are hard/very firm, I assume when new the felt pads would be somewhat less firm/softer.

Had read on the Forum that hat felt was good but tried a couple of charity shops but no felt hats. Also read many reports of footcare products such as Dr. Scholl doing some suitable pad material. I checked out numerous footcare products but nothing really suitable. I did buy one Dr. Scholl product but it was just foam which I think may not be suitable. Also brought a Tesco footcare product that is foam but has thin front face of a felt type material which might be suitable. Have also just seen that B & Q do various sized/shaped furniture protector felt pads.