View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2020, 9:06 pm   #95
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Brenell Purchases

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
The STB1 did not have any internal power amps or speakers. The 2 might have but I only owner a couple of the STB1's. Mine were 10.5" models.
Re the poor wind/rewind - I see you have the fixed guide on the wind side and that was later changed to a rotating guide which helped the fast winding. Also note that the guides near the heads need to be clean and smooth - you can loosed the fixing screws and turn them to an unworn part.
Correct the STB-1 does not have power amps in it but my STB-2 does have the power amps and internal speakers (if I recall correctly awhile since I looked inside) the power amps cost an additional £25. My 10.5" Brenell Mk5 is of the grey crinkle top plate type.

The tape links are what the STB-1 & STB-2 electronics is based on, the STB-2 has additional input mixing and optional power amps.

The Jason is the same as a Brenell tape link (as far as I can tell)it can be found as build in Radio Constructor about 1961 it predates the Tape link.

I suspect Brenell bought that design as I suspect Jason went out of business about the the time the STB-1 came out in 1963/64. The Radio Constructor articles can be found on American Broadcast History Website.

The Jason Tape Link was available from about 1959, I have a Shirley TWA1515D tape amplifier as well spec'd for Ferrograph or Brenell or Bradmatic. Yet another rebuild project, thankfully for a lot of us guys/gals with being locked down at home we can get more of the projects off the list and into working order.