View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2020, 3:29 pm   #86
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Skip Useful Finds

Electronics wise I've salvaged an Ekco radio and a Rotel turntable and amplifier. Last year I saw some stuff being skipped when a box of books caught my eye. Amongst them was a collection of old 1" OS Maps. I find old maps fascinating. Chap was only too happy for me to take them away. I was very taken with a nice drop-leaf table that was in a skip up the road a few years ago but I had already got one (a table – not the skip). I've been amazed at some of the furniture I've seen dumped at the council tip – complete sets of dining chairs, etc. Seemingly dumped because they are no longer fashionable.

We have a local charity that helps people who find themselves with nothing with basic living items. A lot of my old furniture has gone there. They will take electrical goods and even used pots and pans – anything serviceable that will help someone set up home.

I hate throwing things away that still have a life and have given away a lot of stuff, like surplus DIY items, on Freecycle. I found Freecycle less good for substantial stuff. There are obviously a lot of car-booters and traders doing the rounds and they can be picky which can waste a lot of time.

Almost everything that can be recycled/reused here is. I save excess plastic tubs of different sizes from spread to mushroom tubs for a pal of mine who is in car restoration. He uses them to pack small stripped assemblies for storage.

Last year I replaced a length of fencing. The old lap panels were falling apart. I have broken them up and chipped them for use as a mulch.

We are very much a minority here but perhaps one day, perhaps not too far away, we'll go from weirdos to heros.