View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2012, 4:31 pm   #1
6110c37
Tetrode

Default A3300 back from the dead

A very sad Teac A3300 came my way looking fit for the dump. I like Teacs so decided to have a look. It was fitted with an IEC plug and the pinch roller was from something else entirely, being a 5mm alloy disc with a thin strip of rubber glued to it. Never having owned one of this series I decided to "have a go". First thing was to check out the electronics and the rest of the mechanics which appeared to be reasonable. Other than the pinch roller the other major problem was a jammed take-off guide.
When it was apparent that it was repairable the major clean up commenced, obtaining a service manual confirmed that all was within reason but no help re. the pinch roller. All I had was the sketch from the SM and various photos from the internet. So first was to acquire the Neoprene then off to the workshop to make a new pinch roller. This was turned out of ally bar then the Neoprene was vulcanized to it, then the complete assembly was mounted in the lathe and a home made grinder was used to true up the outside of the roller so it was concentric.
Not having any Phos-bronze bearings to hand I fitted (very sorry but I did) two ball races. When mounted on the machine the result was awful, about half speed and wow would have been around 80% (luckily my meter was not connected, it only goes up to 10%).
Rather than keep dismounting the roller and re-grinding, the choice was to adjust the pinch roller tension which was adjusted (bit fiddly) until the Wow was in limits and the long term speed was steady. The bearings played havoc with the flutter figures until the pre-load on the bearings was adjusted then hey-presto it came out well within the original specs.
Last job was to re-label the front panel which though not perfect came out okay. I'm happy with the result but SWMBO wants it out of the lounge so it may well end up in the workshop.
Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	69861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old pinch roller.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	69862   Click image for larger version