View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2004, 11:32 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Knob and dial marking refurbishment

No doubt we all have our own pet techniques for freshening up tired markings on bakelite dials and knobs.

For what it's worth, here's what I do:

Scrape out the old (usually white) paint with a small darning needle. Test the back of the dial with cellulose thinners to make sure the material isn't solvent. (IE, that it's not plastic rather than bakelite).

If all's well, use an old toothbrush to clean out any residue of paint from the indentations on the knob.

Using an "appliance white" touch-up brush, paint right over the indentations filling them with paint, not worrying about the paint going outside the indentations.

Leave it for 10 - 15 minutes to allow the paint to set, then with a piece of tissue (not too fluffy!) with a few drops of thinners, wipe over the dial to remove the unwanted paint on the surface of the knob.

This will leave nice clear white markings. If need be, another coat can be applied to give more depth.

I suppose purists might say that fettling up knobs in this way takes away the charm and "patina" of old radios, but it isn't quite the same as applying Polystrippa and an orbital sander to a Chippendale chair! Leastways, I don't think so.

Hope the tip is useful.

Regards,

David.
G4EBT.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin