View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2019, 2:59 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Buck/Boost regulator IC.

I've had a little pcb in my draw for a while and powered it up to check working voltages. The board AFAIK, is a little flashing light type thing to music using a indicator valve as the display. I put 12v DC in and was very surprised to measure around 270v on some pins of the valve holder.

I was looking for a simple way to power a guitar pedal that uses an ECC82. This after building the "Valvecaster", see attached, a while back and also looking at this similar project - http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/mctube.htm This sort of HV efficient lightweight PSU if able to provide a clean power source would be ideal for low powered valve projects.

As far as I can see it uses a MC34063A regulator IC to get the needed HT, but looking at the datasheet I can't see any OP voltage mentioned or for the life me figure out how with a few external components it "generates" this higher voltage.

Looking at the board all there is in way of PSU components is a few caps (timing etc) an inductor and an IRF740 mosfet. I presume the oscillator in the chip switches the fet to produce HV AC, which is then rectified.

Any light shined on the subject would be appreciated. Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01711.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	190487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-19 15-01-00.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	190491  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MC34063A-D.PDF (1.24 MB, 46 views)