View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2018, 6:54 pm   #5
space_charged
Hexode

Default Re: Philips G23T210A

Thanks again dazzlevision,

Well I always assume the worst and that an old telly will have been stored in a damp place!

I always was surprised that a lopt could fail o/c. I wouldn't have thought a valve could pass enough current to melt the copper wire of the primary. I assumed that failure mode was more likely to be arching because adjacent strands of wire have a high voltage between them.

Thanks for the tip about high value resistors. When I was a student at Uni (reading biochemistry) I did a holiday job n a radio and tv repair shop. I picked up lots of tips from experienced service engineers about what sort of components are likely to give trouble. High value resistors were on the list.

Valves were of course on the list but nothing like as unreliable as their popular reputation was my experience.

Great you think the CRT will probably be OK. Not many of these around now and we've lost the last of the re-gunners. I've several 110 degree Mullard CRTs in Philips sets and they are all top of the form emission.

Rumour has it that the system switch is troublesome on these sets. I have an Aurora so I'd quite like to be able to run it 405 AND 625, so I don't want to do a "soldering iron" job on it, if possible.

Charles