View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 9:22 pm   #2
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Fun with 6502 Assembler

Wow that takes me back... I too found out that there are lots of ways to save code space or speed up execution times with these old MCUs.

For example, about 15 years I learned a few tricks with the old 680x series MCUs. A custom version of this MCU series was used in some old N.Denso (Japanese) car ECUs from the 1980s. They only had 4k of ROM so they had to be able to cram as much code (and maps) as possible into this tiny space. I learned more from studying their code than from any textbook!

They did a few neat tricks at machine code level where the code would jump to the middle of a (multibyte) instruction so on certain passes through the routine the code did something else because it jumped into the middle of an instruction. This would appear illegal on a disassembler but it saved a few precious bytes. They also did tricks with lookup tables that allowed efficient addressing and their (unconventional) code could derail a disassembler as they did sneaky tricks with the stack to achieve this. Probably the most useful code I learned was how to efficiently read a large lookup table (eg a 21 x 12 table) and include full interpolation between map points. Over several versions of code (for the same car) they got better and better at doing this with fewer and fewer instructions. I use similar routines for lookup table access in modern AVR MCUs and the code is really fast and efficient.