View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 7:25 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: ASR33 Teletype nostalga question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
I think the Baric centre you mention was in Harlesden opposite Scrubs Lane. When the centre moved or closed, the building remained on sale forever. There were no takers as it was a purpose built computer centre. Eventually it was demolished and replaced with flats.
Though there may have been a BARIC centre in Harelsden [to serve clients in the Metropolis and surroundings] from memory the one we used was somewhere in Staffordshire - which would make sense since we were in the West Midlands and ICL had at the time a major development/manufacturing operation in Kidsgrove.

In the days of having to get data/telex circuits from the Post Office there would have been sense in minimising any distance-related components of line/connection-charges and so connecting to the nearest centre. Kidsgrove would have been a sensible centre for Manchester/Liverpool clients too.

When I went to university in 1978 I took with me a whole bunch of BARIC forms which were only printed on one side, so I used the unprinted reverse-side to take down my lecture-notes.

Must do some more research on BARIC. They were at one time a big player in the computer-bureau business.