View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2018, 1:23 am   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Past Royal Institution Christmas Lectures

Here we go again with the BBC chucking stuff out-p3*. Now, I know that there are always well presented arguments re cost and prioritisation [often from people who were actually there] but this all stems from the Joni Mitchell effect ie " You don't know what you've got till it's gone". We never hear from the people who risked their jobs to save material for obvious reasons.

When it suits the Beeb they monetise what they can from whats left of the Archive that they didn't take proper care of in the first place. I remember the classic moment when a Beeb executive refused to help with the Alexandra Palace Appeal saying "We don't do museums" ...just after they closed the one in Broadcasting House That was supplied by Steve Harris, who DOES have a great sense of History and Heritage!

The BBC [supposedly a PSB] tries to be a Globalisation Player at the same time. This is disingenuous in my view and License Players are not consulted-except when it suits!
AS it happens, I have unearthed one or two video tapes with Xmas Lectures that I found but they may not be the missing ones! Naively I thought our Premier Broadcaster would have kept them all It hasn't been up to much as a program in recent years though!

I'm not one of those people who routinely say there's nothing on TV [quite the opposite in fact] but I was struck by a letter from John Filby in Sunday's Observer [25/11/18] whose first sentence chimed with my overall view ie " I have defended the BBC for years but it's getting harder all the time".

Dave W