View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 10:14 pm   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: BT Dropwire Terminal Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
I would have thought that the jelly locks inside the box would have kept any moisture out of the actual joint.

That being said, you cant beat a proper junction box with some nice 4BA screws, not too sure ADSL or VDSL will appreciate the significant capacitance the older boxes will create though.
An old problem with the jelly crimps was that whilst the wires inside the crimp remained pure, corrosion crept inside the crimp and the copper /etc corroded away. It's a discussion I've had many a time with telecomms blokes from the time when jelly crimps were brought out.
However, I've got a joint to my rear security light that has not suffered over the last five years.
The monkeys doing the external cladding almost destroyed the original light and left me with a short end of the original cable, so I had to provide an external waterproof mains joint. I crimped the cables, then added tape to bulk out the cable to the shrunk heat shrink size, and heated a glue coated heat shrink to size. In older years, we would make off a joint and then add either an epoxy compound or simply add silicone to make the joint.