View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2019, 4:05 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: External telephone line junction box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
'Yes, I suspect that Openreach Engineers have more to worry about than forensically examining installations...'
Not long after we moved into our house, the old copper-coated iron 1970s 'figure-of-eight' twin dropwire went H/R because of water ingress from a rogue hammer-blow near a cleat. The BT chap came out to replace the dropwire with some of the new two-pair and steel catenary black-sheathed stuff.

He made a very neat installation, took his time, and even fitted a loop into the wire where it left the wall anchor. Intrigued, I asked him why he gave the job the attention he did. 'It's because there are random inspections', he said. The quality of the installations had certainly improved a hundredfold since the bad old days of burying a DP feeder cable six inches beneath a field across its width rather than keeping to the edges (another story)!

That was in 1996. I don't know if 'random inspections' are still carried out as there has been a lot of staff turnover and changes in working practice since then, in particular with the employment of contractors.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.