View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2018, 8:59 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Bakelite clock

If you want to try doing it yourself, take out the movement: Remove the pendulum; Remove the hands (a threaded collet holds the minute hand in place on its squared arbor, the hour hand is a friction fit); The movement's fixing frame is attached to the case with 4BA(?) cheesehead screws.

You then need to let down the mainspring. This is not difficult but needs practice to do safely and can end in tears if it goes wrong. Hold the movement firmly on the bench, insert the winding key fully, turn it a fraction clockwise to release the click, then use the thumb of your left hand to hold the click out of the way of the ratchet and allow the key to turn half a turn anticlockwise. Ensure the click is holding the ratchet again, then let go, give your hands a break for a few seconds, then repeat until the spring is unwound. DON'T LET GO WHILE THE CLICK IS DISENGAGED! Then, remove the ratchet from the winding arbor to ensure that any residual energy in the spring can't do any damage.

Then separate the plates to dismantle the entire movement. Take photos before, during and afterwards as a guide.

Removing the spring from the barrel safely can be tricky - I wiill show you how I do it later.

In fact, if you're patient, I have a similar clock and can post photos of all the steps involved.

I use Cousins or Meadows & Passmore for spares.

You couldn't have chosen a better clock to practise on - it's about as simple as they get.

Nick.