View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2013, 10:55 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV model 2401 "Stereomaster" restoration

Hello Nick,

After Thorn acquired the Radio Rentals group (which included Goodmans Loudspeakers Ltd) in 1968, the Radio Rentals TV factory in Bradford stopped making HiFi for the Goodmans business (e.g. The Maxamp amplifier and Stereomax tuner units). Thereafter, Goodmans electronic HiFi was designed and (I'm pretty sure) made by Thorn in their factories at either Chigwell in Essex or Newhaven in Sussex. You can see the close similarity between various Goodmans HiFi units and the other Thorn brands (HMV, Marconiphone, Ferguson & Ultra). This carried on well into the 1970s but Thorn EMI sold off Goodmans later (early 1980s, I think).

Your HMV branded tuner/amplifier was the model 2404 (I have an HMV catalogue of that era) and included a stereo mux decoder. It also had inputs for magnetic and ceramic phono cartridges. I think it was the next chassis after my model 2401, as it now uses pushbuttons for input/function selection, has greater output power, mag cart premap, etc.

It's going to be interesting to hear how well the BSR MA70 and C1 cart sound, when that part is operational.

Regards,

Dazzlevision