View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2019, 7:35 pm   #13
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Assistance with modulator design

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Hello Autozavod, any chance of a picture of your KVN-49, please? How did you come by it?

That's a model that I would one day very much like to have an example of. It's a classic of its time and place and of quite an advanced design. I saw an early example of one (1951) working in Moscow some years ago (when analogue TV was still around) picking up the transmissions from Ostankino with just 6" of wire in its aerial socket. For the age, it was well-focused, quite bright and had good geometry.

Good luck with the modulator - it shouldn't be too difficult.

Best regards,

Paul M
www.becg.org.uk
Paul,

The KVN-49 would be a good set to get. I knew a fellow with one who had gone to great lengths to restore it and it worked very well. The thing I noticed about them is their Pyrex non aluminised 7" CRT, which I had considered would make a great replacement for the one used in the HMV905. When I got my HMV904, it had no CRT, so I considered fitting this Russian CRT and making it into a 905. In the end I found the 5" 5FP4 that did the job.

The KVN-49 is essentially like a pre-war set in its overall architecture except for having extra channels and FM sound. Not at all dissimilar to RCA's 621TS in that respect, which was designed mostly pre-war and released in 1946, which produced and astonishingly bright high contrast picture .As you noticed the KVN49 has a good picture too.

A possible replacement CRT for the KVN-49, if it needed one, could be RCA's 7DP4 which still turns up from time to time on American eBay. Spare CRT's for the KVN-49 were common eBay a few years ago, but there appears to be less around now.

Hugo.