Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2018, 3:00 pm   #531
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Went into the York branch yesterday - got a few bits cheap - they close next Thursday. Felt sorry for a really nice assistant at York who'd worked there for years, as has his wife. She was due back from maternity leave, and he's had to be on part time. Now, nothing goin for either of them. Hopefully, they'll at least get some redundancy, but I dare say that's questionable.

Went into Hull this morning, which closes today. You could pick your own resistors on bandoliers and fill quite a large plastic bag for £1.00. I guess I got 1,500 or so. Also got some 3" speakers for projects for 25p each. All of the more expensive stuff had no reductions below 50% because it's all being shipped to stores that will stay open to the last, in a phased closure programme. One guy wanted to buy a lot of Arduino stuff and tried to do a deal with the manager who said 'sorry - I've no discretion, it's all bar coded'. As he spoke, a large van was being loaded up with what stock remained in the store.

Silver oxide SR 44 1.55V coin cells which are needed for digital calipers were only £1.50 for a pack of two, so I got four packs of those.

Soon, the shutters will have come down on all the shops and this thread will also be redundant.