View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2018, 9:15 pm   #53
terry123
Pentode

Default Re: Vintage Radio Auction Chorley 3-6-18

Well I believe I should start this belated write up by thanking Rob for an all-round excellent day. Having organised/planned large numbers of events myself over the years including BVWS Harpenden and the NVCF (when it was still at the NEC) I know the tremendous hard work and many man hours that goes on behind the scenes before the doors are opened to the public.

The Chorley event was clearly well organised with a decent hall, parking for a fair number of cars and a PA system that was clear and audible. Rob was mainly assisted by his son Ollie and by two very able volunteers who helped out with holding up the lots. The remarkable fact is how it was all run by such a small number of people. The lady running the kitchen ran out of Cornish pasties quite early due to demand! She did not even get one herself. They were very tasty though. (You’ll probably guess that I managed to get one). There were approx. 260 lots some arriving on the day. This meant that an updated catalogue was issued later that morning.

Hi-fi, valves, record players, vintage radio, military, books records, and test gear you name it. Including a couple of “grot boxes”. I thought some of the prices fetched were quite low on some items that would have commanded larger sums not that many years ago. Vintage Hifi and the like all ways does well. Even the rather tatty LEAK TL12 which did not look quite as bad in the flesh. I counted around 30 attendees. My purchases included a Taylor 45C valve tester (been after one for a while) at reasonable cost.
I took a number of event pictures on the day and have attached one to give a little sample of the flavour on the day.

I try and support these events where I can and I hope that those of you on the forum will consider attending the next one. I hope that Rob was encouraged enough from the success of this one to do another one in the near future.

It was about a 3.5 hour trip each way from “Ferrograph World” towers here in glorious Rosyth, Fife Scotland so a bit closer to home then when I have been to Chas’s events at Gnosall. I might consider a car share arrangement the next time, should anyone in my area want to share the petrol costs. (PM me if interested) As it can easily be done in a day, I was actually back home by 7.30pm that evening having my tea and checking over my new acquisitions.

Kind regards
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chorley.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	164271