View Single Post
Old 10th May 2018, 8:14 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default At Last One Of My Collections Is Complete

Some may think that this achievement should be celebrated in the "Success" section.

But it's not about the amount of hard work fault finding and restoring an item. Although I've enjoyed reading what other members have achieved and are true "Successes"

It's about the success of obtaining a very hard to find, limited Philips EL3301 G/15 cassette recorder. Those who've seen my other posts about these machines, collecting them is an obsession of mine.

It wasn't till about a year ago that I became aware that this particular model even existed ! (Thanks to "Maarten" for the info he provided) & Like a red rag to a bull, I had to find one for my collection!

So, what's so special about it?

Is it the first EL3300/00 model (the first one launched at the 1963/4 Berlin Radio Show) NO!

Is it the American version, branded Norelco ? NO!

These machines were made in several countries: Holland, Belgium, Austria to name 3 of them and in great quantities (some refer to them as the iPod of its time)

The one I have now acquired is....wait for it...... "Made In England" !! and only for a short period (It appears only in1966) and not in the quantities the above countries manufactured.

I have provided photos but, externally it's the same as most of the range they produced. The only give away is the internal label on which is printed: "BA" (Philips UK). And, below the battery meter, it's printed: "Made In England"

WOW, Joy of joys, I now own one and in good cosmetic condition....of course the two rubbers belts have to be replaced.

Job Done.....now it's time that I get around to completing that long promised but overdue book on the history of these memorable machines, the introduction of the Musicassette and to honour & pay tribute to the great Lou Ottens.

Last edited by camtechman; 10th May 2018 at 8:21 pm.