View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2017, 6:52 am   #89
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

Thank you!
I think I just got REALLY lucky. The tv was in fairly good physical condition, and looks as if it had been kept in a dry place indoors. There was very little rust or corrosion. None of the tubes were bad, all the coils were good, and the high voltage transformer and CRT were good. All the critical parts were intact. Now that I know how insanely complex TVs are, I realize that there are a million things that could go wrong. Thankfully, it mostly just took replacing common, off-the-shelf parts (capacitors and resistors) and making some adjustments to get this one working again.

For me, it was a LOT of work to get the tv going again. It was one of the hardest projects I've ever done. But after seeing the major restorations other people here have done on vintage TVs, I think I was lucky for everything to have gone so smoothly. Pretty much every time I worked on it, I was rewarded with slight improvements in how the tv functioned. The frustrating setbacks I had in the very beginning were mostly just due to me mistaking certain parts, or something being out of adjustment.

It was hard, but actually fixing this antique tv and bringing it back to life has given me enough confidence that I think I could tackle another one sometime. Although if I ever do get another vintage tv, it will definitely have to be one that's a lot smaller and not as heavy! This tv may not be as huge as some others from that time period, but it weighs a ton!