View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2022, 5:30 pm   #1
Paul_A_R
Tetrode

Default Dansette Chorister Repair advice

I picked up a non working Dansette Chorister.

Sure enough it was completely dead. Switch cleaner restored activity but only static.

I pulled the only visible electrolytic on the RF/IF side of the radio. It was not too bad though I replaced it anyway. Most of the working parts are in a modular can LP1154 is the code. I assume this is a Mullard but can not find any data on it. I have found some data sheets for these modules but they start at LP1155.

I removed the module and opened it, unfortunately voiding my warranty in the process. It contains 3 A127 transistors which read OK on a multimeter.

I replaced the only electrolytic and tested a couple of the resistors and 'tropical fish' capacitors which tested OK so I put them back.

With the module replaced I can get one MW station though weakly and with a tendency to float in and out of tune.

The next step would be to try an alignment. The plastic trimmers look like they have been played with. The three closer to the amplifier side of the board look serviceable but the one closest to the tuning mechanism is a mess.

Is it likely that I will be able to complete an alignment with the mangled plastic trimmer or is it more likely that this damage has also been reflected in the mechanism?

There are also a couple of other adjustable components on and by the wave change assembly which I am not sure what they are so I have not tried to adjust them. Might these provide any assistance and if so are there instructions on setting them.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chorister Mullard Unit.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	249863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chorister Mullard 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	249864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chorister wave change.jpg