View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2019, 2:14 pm   #15
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Re: Baking an old video tape???

I think that people tend to assume that more modern media is always better than an original older "master". So many people who had their cine film transferred to VHS threw out the film because "it's video, so it's better...right? And besides I cannot be bothered to faff around with a ruddy projector". I've transferred films to VHS and DVD for people and instructed them to keep the film...and every time had to explain why.

Just last year I was asked by a retiring work colleague to transfer around 200 mostly Kodachrome slides from her childhood in the 60s. These had been kept in pristine condition in a purpose made case and were all as clear as the day they were shot. I scanned them and produced nice but lossy JPEG files she could view on her computer screen and email to relatives. And I implored her to keep the original slides, explaining that as lovely as my scans look they only contain a fraction of the detail the slides do.

1/2 inch EIAJ video tape is sometimes prone to squealing though I've not encountered any with SSS. That said, I've only got 13 reels. Wasn't much of the tape Sony brand which certainly can suffer from binder breakdown. Sony audio tape from the 70s is a bit of a crap shoot depending on the chemicals used in manufacture. The EIAJ video tape could well be similar.