View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2019, 4:59 pm   #14
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Changing the throw away culture BBC News today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
Never mind repairability, I find it an outrage that mobile phone manufacturers are allowed to make them with non-replaceable batteries!

I have been hoping the EU might one day ban that kind of overt planned obsolescence.

Wouldn't it be good if the CE Declaration of Conformity had to include a service manual?
I see resistance to this already in the shape of opposing manufacturers complaining it compromises their "intellectual property" to comply with the suggested measures. Perhaps what they really mean is it compromises their monopoly on repairs.

As mentioned in another thread, lack of any manufacturer support in the shape of parts and manuals has impacted the 3rd party repair businesses. Of course there are many other factors that were discussed.

I was talking to someone in an old fashioned repair shop recently who claimed he simply could not obtain some parts for big name televisions. I believe it was backlight modules, where the TV would shut down if 3rd party replacements were installed. Perhaps there are other reasons, but across the board with cars, IT equipment, appliances, logic is being added to devices to lock them down to branded replacements only