View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 5:48 pm   #94
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Thanks John and Jeffrey. I thought it was too good to be true but at least good progress is being made and there is signs of life at the LOPT. I can't even believe I've got this far so quickly.

I'll remove the Metrosil Jeffrey then it will be eliminated; I can always re-fit it later as it is only a minutes job.

Yes Dom I still have the old U25 and will pop it back in to see if it makes any difference. I couldn't believe my luck when the wire broke from the new LOPT kindly given to me by Jeffrey.

I'm still making slow but steady progress; it's taking me a lot of time to locate components on the chassis and also to find replacements in the workshop as it is ages since I did any chassis work.

I've now replaced the big 0.5 uF boost cap replacing it with a 470n 1KV item. Also I've changed the 0.02 uF audio cap and used a 0.022uF 630V item.

My home made miniature coil winder is proving its worth; it was incredibly fiddly whilst replacing the audio cap until I wondered if I could wind a pair of small coils so gave it a go. I snipped the old cap out leaving short tails which I cleaned by scraping then made a few coils from tinned copper wire and they worked like a dream; the picture taken in macro shows one of the caps with a pair of coils added loosely plus spare coils.

I've just knocked off as I wanted to wash my hands as they were very sticky from the old wax caps. I tested the new caps before fitting them and also tested the old caps which seriously needed changing.

Next session I'll re-fit the old U25 and as these valves are so important I'll buy a couple of spares.

This is fun.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miniature wire coils..jpg
Views:	180
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	56127