View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2011, 1:23 pm   #88
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorers dream part 2 the chassis.

Hi,

Many thanks Steve; Dom & Jeffrey for all this additional information and suggestions; I've just printed it all off ready for an afternoon session in the workshop. I'm pleased I didn't try taking meter readings on the top caps of the LOPT valves; thank you for the previous warnings.

I'll have another go at locating the 500mA fuse just in case it is hiding somewhere laughing at me; I would have thought such a fuse would be easy to spot but then the mains cap was buried and really taught me a lasting lesson.

If I end up struggling Jeffrey I'll take your advice and carry one of the scopes back into the workshop; I had to remove them to make room on the bench for the TV.

Last night I spent a while trying to find the valve data for this set as I have an AVO VCM Mk1. I have lots of data for radio valves having bought the Mauriton discs but am I missing something as I couldn't find reference to the two valves I was looking for neither are they listed in the AVO manual? The first thing I do with a radio chassis is test the valves but with this chassis it would be time consuming. I've worked on radios where wrong valves have been installed and also valves in the wrong holders.

I bet I was the only guy on the planet at 7.45 this morning looking through repair notes whilst waiting for the supermarket to open. I had taken along the comprehensive notes kindly supplied by John to study which I had printed off.

Thanks David; I'm sure you are right about it not being far off before this chassis is working; I've been out all morning but can put some workshop time in this afternoon. Thanks again everyone.

Kind regards, Col.