View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 12:57 pm   #19
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Identifying resistor types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul JD View Post
To answer the original question the resistors shown in the pictures in post #14 are not carbon composite, the brown ones appear to be carbon film and the blue ones are likely to be metal film.

Carbon composite resistors typically look like this.
I think that you are right. I am sure that the blue ones are metal film, but the brown ones had me thinking. I have some modern carbon comps purchased from Rapid and made by Arcol which look exactly like your photo. I am sure that when I was soldering new carbon comps into circuits (over 50 yrs ago?), there were several physical designs. There were the tubular types of your photo, similar ones with metal caps on the ends for the leads and those that look more like modern dog-bone resistors in that they are paint-coated overall with a very pale beige colour, but are somewhat larger physically at ~9mm x ~3mm.

I made the silly error some years ago of "refurbishing" my Vox AC30 with new components. At the time, I didn't realise that I was sacrificing the re-sale value and probably messing with the classic tone. I don't intend to sell it, but I would like to have it sound as close to as it did originally. Hence the interest in carbon-comp resistors. I wouldn't dream of using carbon-comps in other circumstances, though there are those situations where a corbon-comp should be used because of the lower inductance. I am thinking of some places in oscilloscopes, typically.

Thanks for all the help and advice, guys.

Colin.